• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Filmworks Reveals English Dub Cast for Gundam Seed Freedom Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm Reply with quote
All due respect to the NYAV Post cast, I'm happy for them, this just won't feel like a true SEED dub without the Ocean cast.

But the new additions are cool! Lizzi! Alejandro! Zeno! AmaLee!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:

And yes, people in charge CAN be wrong regarding pronunciation especially if their primary language isn't the same thing as that piece of media is being translated too. Its how we got all those English-dubs-dubbed-in-Japan for a period of time that botched pronunciation despite being handled by those in charge.
This seems really presemptious for NA fans who only speak English to be telling the Japanese they're wrong about how to pronounce their own character's name.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am Reply with quote
People want nostalgia is a one thing, but to attack new VA and staff who work on the redub is going too far.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
People want nostalgia is a one thing, but to attack new VA and staff who work on the redub is going too far.

I have nothing against the new VAs. I just don't like it because the voices seem wrong to me as a fan of the old dub. I'll watch it subbed since for whatever reason that isn't as jarring to me.

I do think it's okay to criticize the company though. I wanted to watch the series in the old dub before watching the new movie because I prefer it. You would think that was an option - and that's the strange part to me. If you want to redub the series, fine. I'm sure someone somewhere appreciated it. But why remove the ability to see the old dub? I had to go download the old dub.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This seems really presemptious for NA fans who only speak English to be telling the Japanese they're wrong about how to pronounce their own character's name.

The fact is even Sunrise can't get the spelling of their own character's name consistent. I still see Mu/Mwu, Rau/Raw, Elsman/Elthman printed interchangeably on newly-made products to this day.
Stelman257 wrote:
The Ocean dub is a 2003/2004 anime dub, and the Japanese side didn't have anywhere near as much involvement or proof checking back then, so making mistakes like that wasn't uncommon.

I've heard interviews with Ocean crew where they say that the Japanese side was very involved, to the point where they were giving incomprehensible notes. To people saying that having the Japanese involved adds legitimacy to the process, it doesn't mean much if cultural barrier is still there.
Deacon Blues wrote:

You realize that like HALF the original cast has been INACTIVE from dubbing for quite a while now, right? It's not like you can just call them up to pop on down to the studio to reprise roles they haven't touched in two decades like they can in Japan.

This is disingenuous. Just because you don't hear from the original cast, doesn't mean they've all retired. AFAIK most are still working actors. And in voice over, it's not so hard to book someone like if it was live-action.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:05 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

The fact is even Sunrise can't get the spelling of their own character's name consistent. I still see Mu/Mwu, Rau/Raw, Elsman/Elthman printed interchangeably on newly-made products to this day.
I was there for the IRC fansub days of Gundam SEED and I can tell you from experience watching those the fans didn't know the spellings any better.

Quote:
This is disingenuous. Just because you don't hear from the original cast, doesn't mean they've all retired. AFAIK most are still working actors. And in voice over, it's not so hard to book someone like if it was live-action
The hard truth none of you want to hear is recasts in dubbing happens all the time and the Ocean cast doesn't own those characters and Sunrise could have the entire cast dubbed by animals if they wanted to because it's their show.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:35 am Reply with quote
Having just watched SpyXFamily Code White in the cinema in the UK, the subtitles throughout spell the family name as 'Borger' or 'Rorger' or something but the VA's are listed in the credits correctly as 'Forger' Rolling Eyes
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:52 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

This hasn't been an issue in quite a while. You're likely seeing old merchandise. And keep in mind JPN spellings are and have been different from ENG on merch.

Quote:
I've heard interviews with Ocean crew where they say that the Japanese side was very involved, to the point where they were giving incomprehensible notes. To people saying that having the Japanese involved adds legitimacy to the process, it doesn't mean much if cultural barrier is still there.

Care to point to an interview?

Quote:
This is disingenuous. Just because you don't hear from the original cast, doesn't mean they've all retired. AFAIK most are still working actors. And in voice over, it's not so hard to book someone like if it was live-action.

Typically if they're inactive, they're such for a reason. Again, you can't just make a call and bring them back at the drop of a dime so easily like fans think. May not even be worth the money for some anymore
db999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not at all surprised at the discussion going on right now with regards to the old dub. This has happened literally every single time a new dub has been commissioned for an older series, and this has happened so many times in the past decade. I just think that lots of people will just prefer the old dub regardless of how good the new dub is solely because the old dub is what they’ve grown up with and gotten used to. This is especially true when the old dub is decent as in the case of Gundam Seed. Most of the main cast are decent in their roles, even if a few of the side characters are either miscast or poorly acted. Even if the new dub is better every conceivable way such as the case with the dubs of DBZ vs DBZ Kai that won’t always be recognized by fans who only want the dubs they grew up on. All that being said I would’ve enjoyed seeing a version of the new movie dubbed with the old cast, but almost no company on earth is going to commission 2 separate dubs for a movie just to please fans of an older dub from 20 years ago. Anyone expecting them to do so was just begging to be disappointed. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be disappointed but it was never going to happen.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:27 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The problem with this is that some of these pronunciations aren't even found in the Japanese version of the show. "Lacoose" certainly isn't on the loose in Gundam SEED. Fukuda's had 22 years to set the record straight in his own native language and that is not how he's had the seiyuu say it.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Yeah, the idea that not showing up in an anime dub within some arbitrary period of time means an actor is retired is asinine. The reality is that there isn't a lot of anime done in Vancouver anymore. You're basically demanding each actor book a role on the one or two shows (at best) that get recorded there every year. That is unreasonable. Prelay work in Vancouver that's open to more "natural" adult voices isn't abundant either.

It ultimately doesn't matter, because we're talking about something that was never tabled, but going through the original dub's cast list, I'm not seeing this "everyone's retired" thing. Cagalli's voice actress is the only reprisal I would find surprising. She hasn't had a credit since Destiny ended. Here's the thing, Cagalli's got a new voice actress in the Japanese version of Freedom, too. Matt Hill isn't the most active performer anymore, but he hasn't disappeared and said he'd voice Kira again if he was asked to (in that same interview, he confirms he was never asked to come back for the HD remaster). Chantal Strand (Lacus), Sam Vincent (Athrun), Maryke Hendrikse (Lunamaria), Brad Swaile (Dearka), Michael Adamthwaite (Yzak), Tabitha St Germain (Hilda) and Lee Tockar (Herbert) are all active. Matthew Erickson (Shin) and Nicole Bouma (Meyrin) aren't the most prolific of performers either, but if you look at their BTVA or IMDB pages, they've always had gaps and they still live in Vancouver. Trevor Devall (La Flaga) and Lisa Ann Beley (Ramius) both live in the United States now (Texas and Washington, DC, respectively). La Flaga is clearly a character Devall holds near. He's still on his social media banners to this day. If asked, I'm sure he'd find a way. As for Beley, Ocean got her husband to record the Norm of the North sequels remotely, so I think they'd set something up for her, too. It would take some effort, but I'm not really sure where this assumption that most of the cast would've gotten replaced is coming from.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am Reply with quote
Imagine redubbing a series, doing a terrible job, and coming back twice. It's like a walk of shame lol

They basically buried their own destiny dub lol
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

The problem with this is that some of these pronunciations aren't even found in the Japanese version of the show. "Lacoose" certainly isn't on the loose in Gundam SEED. Fukuda's had 22 years to set the record straight in his own native language and that is not how he's had the seiyuu say it.

If name mispronunciations are the big unforgivable deal breaker for you with this new dub, I have bad news for you about most anime dubs.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The fact that a lot of this is just an English dub issue is mind boggling but then again, the Remaster was only dubbed into English and JP.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Presumptuous?
Bold of you to assume English is the only language I know (or that I'm in NA to begin with. If I were, I wouldn't have to use VPNs to watch the WfM Youtube streams DESPITE GundamInfo repeatedly saying they were available in my country)

If the pronunciation is wrong, Japan's had over twenty years to correct their own but what do you know; they haven't.

Written translation is one thing and arguably a spot where you may have a point with but vocal and spoken translation is another and where a lot of that argument falls apart. Nobody speaking native English would pronounce some of those names that the Remaster got wrong if they weren't being told to by someone who isn't completely fluent in English.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
As for Beley, Ocean got her husband to record the Norm of the North sequels remotely, so I think they'd set something up for her, too. It would take some effort, but I'm not really sure where this assumption that most of the cast would've gotten replaced is coming from.

I agree with pretty much everything you said and thanks for putting in the effort on the info gathering! I'll just add that Beley didn't reprise her role as Sesshomaru's mother from the Inuyasha sequel even though Viz was putting in an obvious effort to get as many of the original VA's as they could.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 pm Reply with quote
While I knew there was zero chance of getting the original English cast back for this, I'm still disappointed. But what can you do?

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I was there for the IRC fansub days of Gundam SEED and I can tell you from experience watching those the fans didn't know the spellings any better.

Considering how bizarre a lot of names in Gundam are to start with and how often their spellings seem to be completely unrelated to how they are pronounced in English or Japanese....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4