• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, April 15-21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that Nintendo continues to dominate Japan. I am surprised, though, that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to sell like pancakes, even after all these years.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth continues to fall like a rock in the sales charts. Clearly, locking this game in PS5 jail was not a good idea, especially because SE hasn't been very forthcoming about Rebirth's sales.

Now, some people will say that Rebirth's lackluster performance in Japan might be because FF isn't a Japanese brand anymore (whatever that means), but the fact that Mario games are dominating the charts should be an obvious counter-argument.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Mario Kart 8 is just one month away from its 10 year anniversary and is still outselling almost everything else. Incredible achievement.

It's now the second best selling game ever made by Nintendo (behind Wii Sports.)
funkfoot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth continues to fall like a rock in the sales charts. Clearly, locking this game in PS5 jail was not a good idea, especially because SE hasn't been very forthcoming about Rebirth's sales.

Now, some people will say that Rebirth's lackluster performance in Japan might be because FF isn't a Japanese brand anymore (whatever that means), but the fact that Mario games are dominating the charts should be an obvious counter-argument.

Rebirth is under-performing everywhere, not just Japan. I assume because more people now know it's not an actual remake of 7 so a chunk of people lost interest. I'm sure PC sales will help it but it's only going to continue to be diminishing returns from here on out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Rebirth is under-performing everywhere, not just Japan. I assume because more people now know it's not an actual remake of 7 so a chunk of people lost interest. I'm sure PC sales will help it but it's only going to continue to be diminishing returns from here on out.

I don’t really think that’s the problem for as much as people might say it is. But the still puzzling decision to split this game into three separate parts instead of keeping it as one single release.

Tack on the recurring issue of the writing of the last few FF games being underwhelming some of which has bled over into Remake & Rebirth. You basically have a recipe for disaster once Reunion comes out and that problem isn’t solved.
juaifan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 am Reply with quote
I'd be curious to know if they double dip and put out a 'complete' edition in the end that ties all the games together in one seemless playthrough but probably not given you have to re-find all your items and Materia again in Rebirth unless they go the extra mile and rebalance the later games to account for that.

I played Remake but haven't touched Rebirth and not sure I ever will. I just watch the story stuff to see what they changed from the original and to get annoyed.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:40 am Reply with quote
Rise of the Holdin once again. If it can just get to 130k somehow before leaving the chart then it'd be a fine ending. Wait for it #1....

Vladimir Morales wrote:
I'm not surprised that Nintendo continues to dominate Japan. I am surprised, though, that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to sell like pancakes, even after all these years.

1st bold: You repeat that every time you post here to the point that it is spam.

2nd bold: There it is (#1). Proof you have nothing of importance to say. Rebirth actually had a sales increase in this chart. It sold 2,994 units the week before. It sold 3,563 units this chart. The game released 2 months ago and you want to do this now when you were clearly following back because your in the comments of its 2nd week sales? What more is there to discuss about Rebirth? Nothing. It doesn't take a 5th grade to figure out that a near 300k opening week at retail isn't reaching 800k so that the rest of digital sales will make it reach 1m. You're just trying to fill up your post saying old stuff. Locking this game to PS5 jail? Do you know what jail means? You clearly don't because its coming to PC eventually and most importantly because you don't read interviews, they are developing on one platform first to release the game faster. You don't know what a good idea is when all you do is spam.

Bold 3: There isn't some people. It's just you. The longer you talk without a purpose, the more you expose yourself.

----------------------

I don't know who needs to hear this, but if anyone thinks FF7 can be remade into a single game then they haven't played FF7. The least they can do is 2 games with cut content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1