• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You Were Experienced, I Was Not: Our Dating Story (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
I don't think the blank stares were because "Girly things." I think it was just a surprising overwhelming amount of babbling. The girls had the same look when they did it; Runa had the same look the same time Ryuto did it.
It was just the shock of hearing them nerd out
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
9:

You know, this is the first time I start to half-care about some of the characters here. Like how Ryuto has been skirting around Maria because, well, you know. But if he had just addressed the white elephant in the room and just be honest with her, he would have found out earlier than maybe, Maria and Runa both want the same thing. Of course, Maria having to wrestle with her own feelings is another matter.

The other white elephant in the room? Thinking that having to choose one theme for the school festival over the other means you rejecting the other person. Runa and Maria probably know the situation Ryuto is in already; it's just Ryuto not being aware of it.

"So hey Ryuto, have you thought that, you know, both Runa and Maria know that you have to choose only one of their themes? Maybe just choose one and don't think that means you're dumping the other girl."

I'll give him a small break; as a high school kid, he probably can't think as rationally as I would. He's "inexperienced", ammarite.

And I will say one thing: Nicole probably has a back story that is actually interesting to know. Why hasn't the show tackle it sooner?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:31 am Reply with quote
10:

Man, what a coincidence: everybody seems to know everybody else here!

It's just wayyy too convenient. Runa and Maria happened to be sisters. Akari and Ijichi happened to have the same interests. The hot beach guy happened to be Runa's uncle. And now, Runa's "sugar daddy" happened to be Ryuto's friend who happened to be Nicole's ex. WOW, everything happened to be so coincidental!

I like how Nicole gets her own time for once, but man, her getting back with Sekiya happened so quick. After Sekiya explained every shitty thing he did to Nicole, I would expect her to be at least pissed off at him or something.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:07 am Reply with quote
11:

Hot take: although it would be a bummer, I thought that Runa and Ryuto breaking up would make for a compelling story.

Rather than an expected happy ending, a story with a sad ending would be more interesting. Rather than a love story, we would get a story about love (remember "500 Days of Summer"?). Love doesn't always work out, and from the way Runa explained why she wanted to break up, that was what we (almost) got. But of course, we learned that she (and Ryuto) were just wrestling with their feelings and they finally cleared the air. Also from an audience POV, a break-up would feel abrupt: I never felt any hint that they were drifting apart.

Ryuto and Maria? Perhaps not the happiest ending, but it is actually the best. Something's just gotta give, and they both know that they can't continue to be friends without feeling awkward. Maria knows it herself: she won't get over Ryuto anytime soon, but she will get over him. Trying not to cross paths with Ryuto anymore will help.

Nicole and Sekiya? Now this one sucks, but I'll explain why. Sekiya dumping Nicole isn't the sucky part; I get where he's coming from although it seems mean (in his mind, it's better to dump her now than be stuck in a relationship he doesn't want to be in; it will hurt both much more afterwards). The problem is they just got back together last episode! I thought that their reconciliation happened too fast... and now their break-up even faster than that! So what sucks? The narrative. This is what happens when you don't have enough episodes or don't plan the story out well.

These people looked so dead that, if I were Maria, I'd feel offended.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:56 am Reply with quote
I am a sucker for the otaku and gyaru pairing, considering that both parties are the better of the group in not be judgemental but able to express in ways befitting them. I don't think they should be made incompatible. And I think it is great that they solved things by talking to each other and seeing that there are insecurities they can work on. Also that he last episode wasn't making assumptions that she was cheating, as she also believed him about her sister/ They just kind of seem healthier.

And I don't like him with Maria in the way that it feels like the obvious. Very much my thoughts on Snafu with Hachiman and Yukino, I don't like it in the bring out the worst ways. And would have always preferred the sort of thing where the characters can be friends while understanding boundaries. And maria getting the chances to be more outgoing is pretty cool.

ACxS wrote:
Nicole and Sekiya? Now this one sucks, but I'll explain why. Sekiya dumping Nicole isn't the sucky part; I get where he's coming from although it seems mean (in his mind, it's better to dump her now than be stuck in a relationship he doesn't want to be in; it will hurt both much more afterwards). The problem is they just got back together last episode! I thought that their reconciliation happened too fast... and now their break-up even faster than that! So what sucks? The narrative. This is what happens when you don't have enough episodes or don't plan the story out well.

I personally think that Nicole is too good for Sekiya, and I thought that with how it was in the previous episode. Nicole might be smitten with him, but the guy's event in saving her came across to me as kind of possessive. And this whole situation was him acting without obviously talking any of it out with Nicole. He just decided that she would bring his grades down because she is too tempting or something, and then acting like her youth is so precious that they will break up for her good, without any of those things explained.

He simply didn't communicate anything with her, and left her thinking that she wasn't good enough or something. This all coming from the guy who acts like she is cool because she liked him as a dweeb, but left her in the first place because he wanted to be with other chicks. It doesn't matter that he used to be an uncool dweeb, became cool and supposedly an okay friend to Ryuto. He is a douche that will one day walk into an ex's life to claim that she is his real girl, and then the next day just drop her. He has big red flags, and the fact that he toys with Nicole while acting like he is doing a favour, makes him suck. It sucks that she is stuck on a guy who doesn't see her an equal enough to hold a conversation of why thinks they shouldn't be together.

That other geek also needs to lay off calling her that dumb nickname, and acting like it is surprising that she is a human in having feelings like crying after being dumped. Ryuto is really okay with his friend making fun of his girlfriend's best friend?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
Final:

I said it before and I will say it again: I reallyyyy don't care about Ryuto's friends. Ichiji losing weight and now Akari has the hots for him? Akari, the same girl who lectured Ichiji about "true love"? I know it's just a gag, but how am I supposed to view Akari as right now? A real piece of work, I guess. If you know what, if Akari does ask Ijichi asks him out, I hope he rejects her.

Nishina... am I supposed to feel sorry for him? He never got his own time shine (at all, actually)... but he now wants to confess to Nicole? Really, since when did he like her in the first place? I understand why Ichiji shoot his shot with Akari, but Nishina shooting his shot with Nicole? Not only is this weird, but why does this show bother giving him his limelight only now? Worst of all, nothing happened! What's the point of his own scene?

DuskyPredator wrote:
I personally think that Nicole is too good for Sekiya, and I thought that with how it was in the previous episode. Nicole might be smitten with him, but the guy's event in saving her came across to me as kind of possessive. And this whole situation was him acting without obviously talking any of it out with Nicole. He just decided that she would bring his grades down because she is too tempting or something, and then acting like her youth is so precious that they will break up for her good, without any of those things explained.

He simply didn't communicate anything with her, and left her thinking that she wasn't good enough or something. This all coming from the guy who acts like she is cool because she liked him as a dweeb, but left her in the first place because he wanted to be with other chicks. It doesn't matter that he used to be an uncool dweeb, became cool and supposedly an okay friend to Ryuto. He is a douche that will one day walk into an ex's life to claim that she is his real girl, and then the next day just drop her. He has big red flags, and the fact that he toys with Nicole while acting like he is doing a favour, makes him suck. It sucks that she is stuck on a guy who doesn't see her an equal enough to hold a conversation of why thinks they shouldn't be together.

That other geek also needs to lay off calling her that dumb nickname, and acting like it is surprising that she is a human in having feelings like crying after being dumped. Ryuto is really okay with his friend making fun of his girlfriend's best friend?

Yeah I know. From the way the show portrays him, he's quite a piece of shit and he's aware that he's a piece of shit who tries to break up with Nicole "for her own good" (yeah, his trope about male characters being "alpha" by making the call for the relationship and ending it "for her sake"). Nicole—who deserves her own arc, btw—still sticks with him and her telling Sekiya off earns my respect. Yeah, that's her telling him he doesn't call the shots. Just for her happiness, I hope she and Sekiya reconciles, even if I don't like him.

As for the show, hmm... 6/10.

None of the characters interest me on a deep level. Except Nicole; she's the most intriguing so far. But everyone else don't capture my interest. I don't understand why Ryuto's friends are there, and Runa's friends are a little more interesting but they don't get enough attention. Things got more interesting toward the end of the show, but that was the only time when the show explored something worthwhile in terms of relationships (or what the lack of experience in relationships entail).

I won't compare this with My Dress-Up Darling; they look similar at first glance, but eventually they turn out to be different shows altogether. On its own merit, KimiZero had too many missed opportunities. It could have been a lot better if it wanted to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Good thing they avoided just letting the Parent Trap thing just happen, my understanding is that the trope is pretty unrealistic and usually not very healthy. But it fit Runa's romantic nature, and that he should support her even if it was not a good idea, and comfort her when she was upset afterwards. Feels a little unneeded for her to just get sick for him to look after, rather just be there for her.

Show wasn't perfect, but I would say it is on the more positive side of gyaru anime, especially as a love interest. My rating will be Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2