• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nelvana & FUNimation teamup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:03 am Reply with quote
OK, Kiro, Emerje, I told you both to play nice. Do it or I'll lock the thread.

Kiro, you "joke" wasn't well-recieved by many of us here because you A) started out with a joke that B) lead to a little rant about how you dislike FUNi. You said so yourself that you hate the company because of what they did to various shows in the past. Emerje has been around a long, long time and we've seen so many people come and bash on Funi endlessly for the mistakes of the past, that frankly, we're sick of it. It's like being surrounded by people who say "All your base are belong to us!" all day and then one more person comes in and says it thinking he's funny and you just punch him in the face. It's a perfectly human reaction. A better reaction would be to say "Look, you aren't funny or clever, you're just perpetuating an old grudge and an old joke. Knock it off." Unfortunately Emerje kinda flew off the handle and things escalated.

This is what happened. Neither of you are totally innocent, and you both share the blame, so knock it off, or I'll lock the thread. Got it?

-Z
KiroLinau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well that should finally be over. Strange though, there seems to be two posts missing ¬_¬....strange.

Well now to an actual conversation. I wasn't aware Beyblade was one of Nelvana's. Someone said that right? I always assumed they simply dissapeared. But obviously teaming up with Funi means they haven't. What could they possible be working on? Has either of them aqquired any news worthy titles? Blue gender was good and I never saw Fruits baskets. But other companies like Pioneer have me more excited. Last exile for example looks beautiful.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quote
last exile is the one with the catch song right? and the clouds? looks cool. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:34 pm Reply with quote
KiroLinau wrote:
Strange though, there seems to be two posts missing ¬_¬....strange.

Yeah, before Hotaru's post I made a post that basicly said we weren't going to see eye to eye, let's just drop it and carry on, and apologized to anyone that had to read it, it was a quick 5 or 6 sentances. However, suddently it seems to have disapeared. I know you, KiroLinau, saw it because you were on soon after I posted it, I guess that's all that maters, though I never saw if you responded to it. Really odd.

OK, into the real conversation...

I doubt FUNi and Nelvana are actually planing anything, FUNi is simply doing distribution for them, likely for titles that don't already have a distributer. Where both Cardcaptors and Beyblade (and Medabots) have distributers I doubt FUNi will have anything to do with them. This is more for back cataloge stuff that hasn't been released yet.

Also I'm doubtful this will be held only to action cartoons, though all of the popular childrens titles are currently being released on video.

I'm sure they'll still do some fan favorite titles as well such as Sam and Max and Wildcats. Ofcourse right now, everything seems to be pure speculation.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KiroLinau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:31 pm Reply with quote
yes... well I apologize Emerje. I didn't mean for my joke to come off the way it did. I had no way of knowing the response it would garner. And being harsh in my defense was not constructive either. A big misunderstand that's all, so I offer peace.

that aside

To hotaru (sweetie): Last Exile is the one you're thinking of, and you know how excited I am about it. Anything by studio Gonzo looks superb as of late. And their past titles were all great too.

Anyway, on the Funi topic. I think they will continue to do alot better, so long as they get more shows on Adult swim. they are good when they don't have to edit so much, which is hard because both Dragon Ball and Blue Gender are mature titles. So hopefully the get some good serious titles that Adult Swim will continue to pick up. ...Hey, maybe they could even show the uncut subtitled DBZ on AS. ...but then that might affect their DVD sales, geez that bites.

Well whatever they do, with anime or Nelvana hopefully they fare well.
Moal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I have no problem with FUNi because they stopped their bad dubbing with DBZ. I I have no problem with Nelvana because they don't really do anime at all. But if I feel that a dubbing company is commiting a foul, I have no problem pointing it out.

FUNi is gonna be loaded with cash soon with all these video distribution deals it has.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Moal wrote:
FUNi is gonna be loaded with cash soon with all these video distribution deals it has.

And all the better, maybe they'll finally get One Piece out the door. They've been neglecting some of their titles and are continuing to pick up additional titles. At the current rate it'll be another 2 years before we see Kiddy Grade released. Now that I think about it, does FUNi have anything new running other than Dragonball/DBGT and Yu Yu?

Hmmm, just checked the FUNimation site, they don't have a listing for One Piece any more. Did they sell the license? Maybe they contracted it out?

Emerje
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:54 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah i forgot about yu yu hakusho. that isn't too shabby.

i wish i brought my videl costume to otakon this year, i SO would have won. i think i would have got a yu yu dvd or something...eh.
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't even know they had the rights to One Piece. I assumed that since Viz has the manga, they'd also release the anime. Gosh, times have really changed for me to say this, but FUNi will probably handle it better than Viz would nowadays.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:14 am Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
last exile is the one with the catch song right? and the clouds? looks cool. 8-)

^_^; Off topic, but yeah, the show is some awesome eye candy with airships. Sort of takes the Wolf's Rain approach in plot, but is really a good story. The OSTs are great too.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Moal wrote:

And all the better, maybe they'll finally get One Piece out the door. They've been neglecting some of their titles and are continuing to pick up additional titles. At the current rate it'll be another 2 years before we see Kiddy Grade released. Now that I think about it, does FUNi have anything new running other than Dragonball/DBGT and Yu Yu?

Hmmm, just checked the FUNimation site, they don't have a listing for One Piece any more. Did they sell the license? Maybe they contracted it out?

Emerje

FUNi prematurely announced it. Apparently, FUNi still has the license, but can't do anything with it until Toei allows them. That's what I got from Jerry Chu's IRC chat room.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
FUNi prematurely announced it. Apparently, FUNi still has the license, but can't do anything with it until Toei allows them. That's what I got from Jerry Chu's IRC chat room.

IRC doesn't have rooms, god damn AOL and Steve Case.

I hope it wasn't Jerry that said that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh, never mind what I said before about Rock & Rule. I checked this Rock & Rule homepage and found out that Nelvana sold the DVD rights to some outfit called Unearthed Films... Ooh, they'll be doing a limited-edition double disk set with both English tracks (the American track and the rare Canadian track... no, I don't know how they're different from each other)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3