• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Anime Rankings - Best of Spring 2024, May 6-12

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:40 am Reply with quote
There's something seriously wrong when Tonari no Youkai-san loses out to Chillin' With Level 2 Powers. :/
Netero

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:28 am Reply with quote
And there has to be something even more seriously wrong when Sound Euphonium is first place for the 3rd week running in the cumulative rankings when it was never first in the weekly ones and is now 5th.

Full disclosure - I failed my Statistics course at college Smile
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
There's something seriously wrong when Tonari no Youkai-san loses out to Chillin' With Level 2 Powers. :/

Lv2 has the waifu power. /s

Unnamed Memory on it's slow decline.
I suspect TenSura will be bouncing around, dropping 13 points is quite a jump, people are tired of the board meetings.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
And there has to be something even more seriously wrong when Sound Euphonium is first place for the 3rd week running in the cumulative rankings when it was never first in the weekly ones and is now 5th.

Nah, that makes sense to me.

Episode 6 being in 5th place is the lowest it's placed. Nothing else has consistently placed in the top 5 on the weekly rankings. Mushoku Tensei started at #9 and has only outperformed Euphonium half the time; One Piece had a huge drop with episodes 1102-3; Delicious in Dungeon started all the way down at #16 and has only outperformed Euphonium twice. And so on. Nothing would really make sense to be above Euphonium in the cumulative, because that chart rewards shows that are consistently good.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:02 am Reply with quote
Where's Date A Live V? Shouldn't that be near the top?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:03 am Reply with quote
I know this is just for entertainment, but it's hard to put any stock in it at all when people rate episodes that they haven't even seen. For example, Mushoku Tensei is sitting at 4.3 right now (and the non-0.5 decimal shows that more than one person rated it), even though there was no episode today. And that happens a lot when there are recap eps or postponed eps of any series, before the list can be corrected.

Dan says those bogus ratings ultimately aren't counted, but if people are trying to boost or trash episodes they haven't seen, there's nothing (and no way that I can think of) to prevent that once the list is corrected.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:13 am Reply with quote
Should be pretty easy to filter out ratings that show up for an episode that doesn't even exist, or that show up before an episode has aired (although, I guess that depends on whether you want to discount pirates' ratings), but yeah it seems hard to systematically control 'unconsidered' voting in general. You could build heuristics but it feels like any attempt to control that ultimately ends up with an attempt to design some sort of neural net specifically trained to detect anime-show spam votes. Laughing

It would be interesting to see what happens if you produce the same graphics but restricted to users with high or low variability in their ratings, or to users who have generated very many or very few ratings, or users who have earlier versus later account-creation times... None of those would get at quite the same thing, but might be insightful.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:25 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Should be pretty easy to filter out ratings that show up for an episode that doesn't even exist, or that show up before an episode has aired

Dan (I think it was him) told me he does just that, but there's still no way to keep people from rating things they haven't seen, and since there are those obviously willing to do so, it dumps a beach worth of salt on any results. People lie. It's a problem with any sort of poll or survey and always will be. Which is why I have to keep reminding myself "for entertainment purposes only" and not get too bent about it. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was agreeing with that. That's what most of my post is about, after the part you quoted Razz
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know this is just for entertainment, but it's hard to put any stock in it at all when people rate episodes that they haven't even seen. For example, Mushoku Tensei is sitting at 4.3 right now (and the non-0.5 decimal shows that more than one person rated it), even though there was no episode today.

Look carefully at the date. This is for the week of May 6-12, and MT did air an episode on the 12th. (And it was one of pretty major importance, too.)

Quote:

In fairness, Chillin' had a major dramatic spike with that week's episode. That carries over to the following episode, so it should spike higher than normal for the May 13-20 rankings, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know this is just for entertainment, but it's hard to put any stock in it at all when people rate episodes that they haven't even seen. For example, Mushoku Tensei is sitting at 4.3 right now (and the non-0.5 decimal shows that more than one person rated it), even though there was no episode today.

Look carefully at the date. This is for the week of May 6-12, and MT did air an episode on the 12th.

Look carefully at what I said. I was talking about ratings being given "today" (yesterday now) for Episode 19 (which hasn't aired, replaced by a cast special) on the Your Score page, not the resulting graphs (which only show the rankings, not the ratings). More people have rated this episode sight unseen since I posted, as it's now down to 4.1.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:52 am Reply with quote
New episodes are auto-added ~1 hour before they simulcast. If I get notified about a recap or skipped week then I'll set the correct date in advance, but usually we depend on user error reports to fix the incorrect date. Which I just did for Mushoku Tensei #19. And the people (bots?) who voted on a non-existing episode (and thus self-identified as spammers) are graciously helping us feed our anti-spam heuristics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1