• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 am Reply with quote

I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: A young man named Al Wayne vows to max out all his farm-related skills and become the king of farmers. He finally accomplishes precisely that to live as the best farmer that ever was. However, on the day he mastered these farm-related skills, his life took a completely different direction from farming...

October 1, 2022 (Saturdays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:35 am Reply with quote
There's part of me that wonders if the makers of this show know that it's :bad: and are leaning into it.. Maybe trying to just be transparent in the cheapness and rampant cliches.

How else do you explain the sequence in the second episode where Al and Fal-Ys are walking and talking down a hallway without their mouths moving at all?

I get the feeling that the show will never apologize for being a cheap, trope laden mess and instead try to "cult classic" their task.

This could be a show that full well knows that it's bad and lets you know that they know it's bad, but they have the task to do it anyway, so we might as well enjoy the ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

How else do you explain the sequence in the second episode where Al and Fal-Ys are walking and talking down a hallway without their mouths moving at all?

An animation mistake that could get fixed later? After the CGI'd Harryhausen-style stop motion forest dragon from the first episode, I'm willing to give them some slack.

As for the story itself, it's a non ISEKAI power fantasy that leans way too heavy on its video game interface- so it may as well be an ISEKAI. BUT... they clearly got rid of the big bad boss enemy right in the first episode so I think it's more of a parody. Maybe a satire...

A power fantasy satire, that does explain a few things. If it's a satire then Helen, the latest damsel in distress, would neither be a victim of the Black Dragon or the Black Dragon itself but the third option which the show alluded to but didn't flesh out.

Oh yeah, the princess turned out to be a powerful sorceress who really wasn't in danger. Hold on, what's going here?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
The abundance of L's and R's also comes off as a bit of a joke. The one adventurer is "Jake," right? Other than him and Macbeth, I think everyone has one of those two letters in their names.

Not that that's odd, the Novice Alchemist anime has the same feature... but taken with everything... and the names themselves (Reaks!) just makes me wonder.
Shiremage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:10 pm Reply with quote
As others have stated there are a lot of mistakes in the voice over and animation but it's funny. It reminds me of the "Kid from a small dungeon town". Though in this case the protaganist is not so clueless as to their powers. They just want to farm. I can understand
that. Hopefully the glitches will improve as the overall concept is good. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
Ep 4

I was cruising along with this with no expectations of anything worthwhile, just for the humble farmer (and I like his friend) and jokes like the Ouroboros freaking out that his head is basically just full of vegetables, and Helen showing off her transformation skilz. But then they ended the ep with a gay orc rape attempt, which really killed my mood. They pull something like that again, and I'm done.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
episode 12
Finale and very optimistic attempt to set up another season.

I'm still not sure if the makers of the show were self-aware of what a trash show this was, but its trashiness was definitely what kept me coming back. It seemed to revel in the fact that everything was just so superficially weak.

And somehow, they seem determined that people want more of the cardboard characters, tissue tiger bad guys, paint by number plots and simple gags; so they amazingly end the "season" on a quasi-cliffhanger. Wow.

I just don't know how to rate it. How do rate a show you enjoy for its so-bad-it's-goodness?
I guess DECENT is the way to go.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
episode 12
Finale and very optimistic attempt to set up another season.

And somehow, they seem determined that people want more of the cardboard characters, tissue tiger bad guys, paint by number plots and simple gags; so they amazingly end the "season" on a quasi-cliffhanger. Wow.

You're saying it ended on "a" cliffhanger? Episode 12 didn't explain anything. "Your childhood friend is back from the dead and is now a demilich. Don't worry about it. The Good God seemingly depowered you by taking the Power of Nature from you which seems to be some sort of conflict of Good and Nature. Don't worry about it. Your best friend can't leave... oh right, you don't know about that one yet so you won't worry about it."

I feel like I'm forgetting some... Oh right, Fal's maid has a secret. She's possibly just Ilvia but I don't think it's either necessary or something Ilvia would do.

I'm genuinely impressed by the show to be honest. I don't think the way it ended is sequel baiting, I think the show went out of its way to troll the audience. The active trolling for the lead character regarding Ilvia was bad enough, but the passive trolling of his friend and the maid raised it to an art.

This show has a fascinating morality system, I didn't expect that. Orcs are more of a nuisance than marauding killers, the demons seem to be nice and the Bad God blessed Al... uh oh... There's definitely a pattern here.

I'll call the show highly watchable, a definite parody of the typical "obvious hero will obviously save the day in an obvious fashion" anime fantasy. Does it work? It worked for me
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I just kinda blinked dumbfounded at "Lord Evil God." Too much world-building effort to give him a proper name? Or Good Goddess, for that matter. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1