• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
non-Japanese staff as original author

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
Many anime are based on original "works" of other authors, mostly manga.
In some cases, the movie is based on a book by non-Japanese authors, like Ie Naki Ko by the french writer Hector Malot, Ahiru no Quack by the dutch singer/actor Herman Van Veen or Nils no Fushigi na Tabi by the Swedish author Selma Lagerlöf.

The question is now : if these people are entered as staff member with credited task "original author" (or similar), should this be done as Japanese staff, or in the original language ?
In other words, should "japanese staff" be interpreted as "staff : Japanese people", or "people which are staff in the Japanese version of this anime" ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
"people which are staff in the Japanese version of this anime"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:55 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
In other words, should "japanese staff" be interpreted as "staff : Japanese people", or "people which are staff in the Japanese version of this anime" ?

Both. Apart from a very few rare exceptions (e.g. Scott Frazier), there are no non-Japanese people who work on anime. Including long-dead authors as "staff" is patently ridiculous. Unless someone had direct input in the making of the anime, s/he is not staff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:11 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Including long-dead authors as "staff" is patently ridiculous. Unless someone had direct input in the making of the anime, s/he is not staff.

Please tell Paramount to remove Gene Roddenberry's name from credits list of subsequent Star Trek franchises (TV/movie/novel/etc.), because he's long dead now. See what whould Trekkers do.

Seriously, we've discussed about it alomst two years ago. But now we have Imokawa Mukuzo Genkanban no Maki, produced in 1917.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
"people which are staff in the Japanese version of this anime"

This expression doesn't makes much sense, does it ? Embarassed

Dan42 wrote:
Apart from a very few rare exceptions (e.g. Scott Frazier), there are no non-Japanese people who work on anime. Including long-dead authors as "staff" is patently ridiculous.

What about all the Korean artists Question

Dan42 wrote:

Including long-dead authors as "staff" is patently ridiculous. Unless someone had direct input in the making of the anime, s/he is not staff.

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Knowing the writer of the story/book/whatever on which the anime was based on is imho useful information. I do agree however on your approach that it's not staff.
Conclusion : put it in the trivia section. Will that be OK ?
(I suppose it is similar for Ludwig van Beethoven and his colleagues)

P.S. how do you want this corrected ? Should be send error reports for each of them separately ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:

arg! You got me fair and square. I'd completely forgotten about all the off-shoring.

woelfie wrote:
Conclusion : put it in the trivia section. Will that be OK ?
(I suppose it is similar for Ludwig van Beethoven and his colleagues)

P.S. how do you want this corrected ? Should be send error reports for each of them separately ?

Nah, eventually I'll get around to automatically convert all the "original creator" staff into "based on" info next to the vintage or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
woelfie wrote:

arg! You got me fair and square. I'd completely forgotten about all the off-shoring.

There are lots of Chinese ones, too. I can't remember how many times I've seen 北京写乐 (Beijing Sharaku; yes, it's a studio related to Osamu Productions and was named after one of Osamu Tezuka's most popular characters) and 杭州飞龙 in the ending credits. There are many individual names in credits too.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Nah, eventually I'll get around to automatically convert all the "original creator" staff into "based on" info next to the vintage or something like that.

Don't forget the following duplicate tasks :
Original creator
Original Idea
Original Manga
Original story
Original Work
[... ?]
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
there are no non-Japanese people who work on anime. Including long-dead authors as "staff" is patently ridiculous. Unless someone had direct input in the making of the anime, s/he is not staff.

Dan, I got you another time (and this is what I originally had in mind when I gave the three examples above):
Herman Van Veen is born in 1945 and far from dead. I always knew him as a cabaret performer, and that was also how the story of Alfred J. Quack was made. After the performance (1976) came de music LP (1978), the comic strips and then the animated movies (1990).
So I think that he can be credited as original writer of the story. Now, does that make him Japanese staff or Dutch staff ?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Again, for this case the answer is "none". Don't take me so literally. Someone being alive or not at the time of production is not exactly the prime criterion for being "staff". If someone has actively participated in the production of the anime, that makes them staff. Of course, being dead at the time pretty much precludes being part of the staff, but the effect is basically the same if a work is being adapted to anime without any input from the original author despite him being alive. For the same reason, Chinese or Korean inbetweeners are considered "Japanese staff" because they were actively involved in the production of the original version.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
OK, now I understand the concept.
I don't think that one "missing" entry will make the difference.
I'll just look out for your "based on" function.
Thanks for the explanation !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1