• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Pledged for Black Jack Set 1 on Anime Sols.

Same here. Man was that close, for the last few hours I was wondering if it would actually make it. I'm glad it did.

As of this post, with about 2 hours remaining, they're in OT with 219 supporters and $22,385 in pledges.

I just pledged as well, for the $40 set! Smile
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Got a few goods for fairly cheap with the combined price off Amazon:

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden/ Kannazuki no Miko Complete Series Set
Shinesman Subbed VHS
Mighty Space Miners Subbed VHS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I clearly have a problem. Otakon is a week away, but comic shop... I only bought 3 manga, though "ok, 3 manga off my Otakon list, good" and was leaving, then saw like 10 huge boxes of manga! What was I supposed to do, ignore half off sale? So yeah, I ended up getting:
Golgo 13: 1-4, 6, 9-11
Ikigami 9
Kaze Hikaru 8, 20, 21
Magi 1
Tegami Bachi 14

And the Kino's Journey light novel (book one, though I don't think any others ever came out here anyway)

As for how much of that was on my Otakon wish list? Well for my wishlist, I tend to shorten my year long one to exclude things that have a release date after the con (thus, Ikigami 9 and Magi 1 weren't on it, but logically could have been). Kaze Hikaru is on my wishlist. Tegami Bachi was as well. So I'd say that of the 15 books I bought, 6 were actually things marked off my Otakon checklist, and while Golgo 13 was something I had considered collecting last Otakon anyways (good thing you can skip volumes I hear), that actually added 5 books to my wishlist (the 5 I didn't get), so there's only a net gain on my wishlist now of 1. And a new series was added, argh! Dammit. And of course, I like the Kino's Journey anime, so why not? And if I don't like the book, it sells for like $30 online, I thought it was win-win.

I have a problem... Otakon is in a week, yet I get 15 manga today....
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
Don't sweat it. The only way to handle stuff like that is if you see it and the price is reasonable buy it. I've had regrets about books I didn't buy but very few about volumes I did. It took me years to find the issues of Appleseed that I passed up on a trip to North Carolina the first year I collected.

Look at it this way, when you get to Otakon you may see a few of those titles for less than you paid. However most of what you see will be as expensive or more than what you paid. You will not find everything you just bought. If you waited until after the con, the stuff wouldn't be there when you got back.
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been saving up for a couple months, so I was finally able to place an order at TRSI. It includes:

-Another Blu-ray
-Fairy Tail Blu-ray/DVD Collection 2
-Hanasaku Iroha ~Blossoms for Tomorrow~ Blu-ray/DVD Box Set 2
-Kimi ni Todoke Blu-ray/DVD Box Set 2
-Kimi ni Todoke Blu-ray/DVD Box Set 3
-Kobato DVD Collection 1
-Kobato DVD Collection 2
-Lovely Complex DVD Complete Series
-Lupin the 3rd: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack Limited Eition
-Natsume's Book of Friends DVD Seasons 1-2

Yay! The thrill of buying stuff!
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45
Yeah, I figured that since some of this stuff is so new it's not technically out yet, half off is an awesome price for Ikigami 9! Actually they had like 3 copies, it's not like I took the one copy they had (they had like 10 huge boxes! What was Diamond thinking, sending them that much manga?)

I'm familiar with Otakon prices, some of the older series I'm looking for, like Old Boy and some CMX stuff, might be in the bargain bin, but the stuff I just got? I highly doubt it. Mostly because it's half new releases (and I don't tend to see Golgo 13 anywhere anyways. And the new releases might not even be found at Otakon yet). I'm more concerned with "dammit, that was supposed to be Otakon budget!" than the actual price of the items in this case (which, even after tax, are damn good). I did actually put a couple of things back, stuff I wasn't sure on, like the new D-Gray man 3-in-1 release (since I don't know much about that series). But the sale is through Sunday ftw, in case my mind is changed on that D-Gray Man thing, it should still be there Sunday (they had more than one copy). I'm now second guessing if I did indeed see a couple of copies of Tegami Bachi 12 (I have 13 and 14, because half off, but not 12 for some reason).

On the plus side, since I live close to Baltimare (oh yeah, it's Bronycon this weekend, also at the convention center, but I can't afford both cons, and I think it's hilarious how the local news can't seem to believe this con exists), I just take the light rail down (which I live a three minute drive from). So I have to pay like $14 for the light rail all weekend, but don't have to pay for parking or a hotel, thereby saving a couple hundred bucks right off the bat. And since I'm at home, I can keep stuff in the fridge and bring actual food with me. That's just more spending money for me! And I don't have to pack! All my clothes are right here! And when I come back with purchases, I don't have to worry about forgetting them, they're already at home! And if a friend forgets, I can just find it and ship it to them! And my cat is here! If there's an emergency, my mom or dad can come down easily! I really do like being able to go to the con from home :3 I'm having college friends over and spent like 4 hours yesterday getting the old caulk off the bathtub (Otakon kind of makes us do house projects like this because I'm having guests over), so I could slightly justify today's purchase to myself, believe it or not. I worked hard, dammit!

Oh, and just now, went online to see if half.com had the RahXephon Bible for cheap (in English, specifically, ADV did put that out, and I wanted this in English because I'd like to be able to actually read insight about the series), and well the seller had a couple Otakon wish list items for cheap, so I also went with Old Boy 6, Palette of 12 Secret Colors 3 & 4, Kaze Hikaru 10, for all 5 items with shipping, it was only $16. Doubt I will be able to find those that cheap at Otakon ($3.2 per item even with shipping!) Since this came out of Paypal instead of my bank account, it didn't register as me spending money since I kinda view paypal as imaginary fun money that can be converted to real money. And I'm going to sell some manga on ebay Sunday for sure (they already have bids on them)
Nummy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Just bought End of Evangelion off eBay in an auction for £7 (including P&P) -- not bad considering it's out of print. Let's just hope the DVD is in the condition that the seller stated it was online. I'll be miffed if it's not -.-[/b]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
If Otacon was that easy to get to I'd be tempted to attend myself. However for me it would be a 5 hour drive plus hotel and food fees. In any case I got burned out on cons from my wife's hobby. If I showed any willingness to leave town for a convention she would be trying to sign us up for the next Integrity Toys doll convention. This years national Barbie Doll convention is in New Orleans next weekend.

If you think anime and manga are expensive to collect, check out E-bay for dolls from Integrity, especially Poppy Parker. That is what competes for our budget.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
From RightStuf, I have at long, long last received:

Puella Magi Kazumi Magica volume 1
Puella Magi Oriko Magica volume 1
OreImo volume 3(manga)
Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink omnibus

Far, far, far more importantly, I also picked up my Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Animate Limited Edition. First off, I'll state publically the replica film reels were a disappointment - random frames were thrown together, instead of them being of coherent scenes - but just about everything else has me giddy. I've already hung up the wallscroll(unfortunately I've only one tack, so it ended up off-center between two posters and flaps freely in my fan's breeze), though I'm not sure how to hang up the clear posters I got(the one I bought(paying FedEx prices for one thing seemed like a ripoff) has a slot in the packaging I could use to hang it sideways, but the one from the LE has no packaging at all, making it a bit of a conundrum(currently anticapted solution pending money: see-through frames), even after I get more tacks), which is an absolute delight of a problem to have compared to my fiscal ones.

TLDR: Me gusta.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I was not going to spend money on Anime/Manga this month due to my holiday but the Bank so kindly offered me a credit card, when I told them I was heading abroad with my debit card, so I thought it rude not to give it a spin. So here is what I grabbed:

Anime:
Certain Magical Index: Season 1 Part 1 DVD
Certain Magical Index: Season 1 Part 2 DVD

Manga:
Rave Master 1-10
Natsume's Book of Friend 1-5
Berserk 10
Sacred Blacksmith 1
Evangelion 6 & 7

Pre-Ordered:
Strike Witches: Maidens in the Sky, Vol. 1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Limited Edition DVD + Soundtrack ($41, very good condition)
Rebuild of Evangelion - Movies 1 & 2 Blu Ray ($29 total, both brand new)
Kasimasi: Girl Meets Girl - Complete Series DVD (Vocal Collection w/ English Dub) ($5, like new condition)
Utawarerumono - Complete Series S.A.V.E Edition DVD ($14, brand new)
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Haha! I today received:
Birdy the Mighty: Final Force (DVD)
Nausciaa (Disney's new BluRay)

I'm quite excited about each.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Today when I got home I found a big box holding twenty volumes, shrink-wrapped for the sake of our children's' purity and innocence, in my foyer. I'm gonna get my rocks off tonight!

No, not really. It was the first ten volumes of Dorohedor and all of Jormungand. I'll probably be waiting until I've assembled enough for a nice long stretch of reading manga to get to them anyway.

(I have Search for the Missing Girl and Tropic of the Sea on order and I'm sure that another volume or two of Attack on Titan will be available by then)

I did, however, order something new tonight from Amazon.com

Manga
Monokoro Kinderbook

I read the House of 1,001 Mange article on Monokoro Kinderbook on a whim (I almost passed it over... FOR SHAME) over the weekend and was quickly inspired to buy it. I love anthologies of short, poignant stories with a distinctive artistic voice, which it seems this will very much offer. I'm very grateful for the column about it, as I would almost surely never have heard of it otherwise.

ailblentyn wrote:
Haha! I today received:
Nausciaa (Disney's new BluRay)

I'm quite excited about each.

Those are very fine choices.

I watched that Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind blu-ray disc a few weeks ago and was very satisfied with the video quality.

The Birdy the Mighty OVA is really entertaining and the latter half has some of my favorite action sequences. (I'm especially fond of spoiler[the fight in the amusement park in episode three].) It's something that I enjoy revisiting from time to time. I have a real soft spot for Birdy. She's damned cool and a refreshing knockout. Lamentably, it suffers the same problem as the Birdy the Mighty: Decode series from 2009: It doesn't end. The self-contained story of the OVA gets finished, but the larger saga is left very obviously hanging.
wormraper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Eden of the East : King of the East blu-ray combo pack
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:

How much did you pay for that? The last time I checked, sellers were gouging the price on that volume to the OVA series in DVD format to well over $100. It was bad enough where I resorted to getting the series on VHS last year so I could see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1057 of 1401