• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KUROSUFAIYAH

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serotonin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:00 am Reply with quote
This is not so much as an attack on a show as an attack on a specific group of fandom that does like this show. Drooling hormone charged and sex deprived fanboys can be annoying to me too, but I do not let it hinder my judgement of a show simply because "they" like it.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:39 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
First of all, lighten up, people. Stop taking the fact that none of us like Azumanga Daioh so personally. Myself, I tried to avoid the name-calling; my point was that it was quite popular despite my disdain for it, so I had really no option but to accept that fact and move on.

I totally agree.

And I do want to point out, even though I do understand that the Azumanga Daioh topic hit very close to home with so many people, there were other topics mentioned. It wasn't just a "total, no other topics were ever discussed or talked about with dislike" slam fest on Azumanga Daioh. Tenchi and .hack were also mentioned in the not so greatest of light. So, yes, Kurosufaiyah! was not as heated as anticipated. I am sure changes are going to come. And we get that many, many people LOVE Azumanga Daioh. So, let's stop beating this dead horse...okay? Wink
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:04 pm Reply with quote
so if I like azudai and im 21 does that make me a creepy old man in training? Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I like AD & I *definitely* do not watch Friends. I tend to like things that are well outside the mainstream. I found it to be a funny spoof of the high school years. While I could do without the lecherous male teacher character, he isn't the whole thing. If the whole thing were about that particular character, I would probably loathe AD as much as the people who discussed the show in the article.

Tammy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Actually, that's the only reason why I kept watching the show-- the lecherous guy. I knew he was a stock (and really ridiculously creepy) character, but the contrast between him and the rest of the girls made me keep watching more episodes. Watching him was like watching Yamamoto's coach in Colorful. People like that creep me out, but characters like that are just... so... absurd in the context that I can't tear my eyes away, no matter how much I'm dreading their next appearance in the show. I kept waiting for an "oh, gosh, there he is *again*" moment.

In that vein of thought, I suppose my biased view against the AzuDai fans in my club was hearing them say, "Yeah..!!! Maybe he'll get some ass tonight! Man, I wanna be a teacher like him!" It doesn't help that I know people who draw AzuDai hentai fanart. It's an unfair representation of the AzuDai fans out there, but I suppose my club's just full of ... interesting people. If anything, the fire that this issue has lit has shaken me away from my biased views and alerted me to the vast number of people out there that don't resemble my local club, which I'm thankful for.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:11 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Very Happy Actually, that's the only reason why I kept watching the show-- the lecherous guy. I knew he was a stock (and really ridiculously creepy) character, but the contrast between him and the rest of the girls made me keep watching more episodes. Watching him was like watching Yamamoto's coach in Colorful. People like that creep me out, but characters like that are just... so... absurd in the context that I can't tear my eyes away, no matter how much I'm dreading their next appearance in the show. I kept waiting for an "oh, gosh, there he is *again*" moment.

The lecherous guy didn't really play a substantive role in the series. He's more like the occasional Elvis Presly sighting. Laughing
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:32 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
note to self: Next time I do a "how not to be an... ass" panel (for those at NDK, you may have been there and remember it) include those with the overzealous loli complexes.
That was an ...interesting panel. Yes, next time, DO include those with the overzealous loli complexes. It might scare off a few people from your audience but it would be worthwhile.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:44 am Reply with quote
Yay, somebody remembers me, I feel loved! Anime hyper Anime hyper

You know, with only two weeks to prepare for that, I think (if Becca allows us to do it again) we will have things much more together this time around (and I'll have had more sleep.)

I got the video recently, and there is a bit of fine tuning to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:03 am Reply with quote
Sleep?? Bah, I didn't know what sleep was on that particular weekend.

Hopefully, you will be able to do that panel again next year 'cause, if you ask me, you can't have too many panels.

Good Times.
DiscoBuba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I wanted to comment on this thread earlier but was havin trouble with my computer Sad I just recently got AzuDaih and enjoyed it, however I got the manga from ADV before I saw the anime. Now that I've seen the anime I can say I don't think it works as well and I can see why people don't like it.

Well regardless of That topic, my complaint about KUROSUFAIYAH! was that no one compared/contrasted or noted any manga at all. In an earlier KUROSUFAIYAH! Chobits was generally disliked, but I find the manga much better. Except no one mentioned how good/worse the manga was Confused I think if you can try and get someone like Allen Divers who does "Tankobon Tower".
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to say that I disagree with the lot of your commentators on Azumanga Daioh... and leave it at that.

Seriously, though, reading the column was like watching Fox News.... they so rarely have people who disagree with their conservative leanings that it's hardly worth watching....
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:15 am Reply with quote
There wasn't enough diversity of opinion and contrast of views, it is a problem. And Zac realizes that, he acknowledged it in the second post of this thread. I raised the issue in the first post of this thread. He has promised to fix that. If he doesn't, then we can roast him over a fire on a spit. I used to have Greek neighbors, so I know how to do that.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:53 am Reply with quote
None of the Anime Academy Reviews of Azumanga Daioh have been bad. It seems like a ninch anime that not everyone is going to like. So why all the fuss?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote
Everything that was going to be said about this was said. Aren't we done trashing this column now? Please?

-Zac
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:09 am Reply with quote
No one has said that is SuXX0Rs yet.

KUROSOFIAYAH SuXX0Rs!

There, all done.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5