• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pioneer Changes Name

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:42 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
My point is that your generalization of "Pioneer's" dubs is rather misguided and needs to be relooked at.

Yes and no. While the studios definitively vary in strength of their talent pool and skill level, the dubbing is ultimately a colaborative process between the studio and the company paying for the dub. The latter's producers aren't in the credits just for fun, you know. It's them who pick the main cast, tell the studio how to aproach the dubbing (energetic or relistic acting, accurate or punched up script, etc.), and it's them who ultimately decide if the dub is turninig out like they wanted. If they're not, they can ask of changes and to go back and redo the problem lines (though of course, on some projects the producers are more interested getting it done quickly/cheaply rather then getting the best quality out of the studio).
drakh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:43 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
They did back in the early to mid 90's, but not recently...

Pioneer used Ocean for SoulTaker last year and currently on Master Keaton.
moadib

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone not noticed how easily the name could mean to GENerate EONS or Billions...lets make up a name that promotes making money...say it with me people...GENEON...GENEON...

Razz
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
drakh wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
My point is that your generalization of "Pioneer's" dubs is rather misguided and needs to be relooked at.

Yes and no. While the studios definitively vary in strength of their talent pool and skill level, the dubbing is ultimately a colaborative process between the studio and the company paying for the dub. The latter's producers aren't in the credits just for fun, you know. It's them who pick the main cast, tell the studio how to aproach the dubbing (energetic or relistic acting, accurate or punched up script, etc.), and it's them who ultimately decide if the dub is turninig out like they wanted. If they're not, they can ask of changes and to go back and redo the problem lines (though of course, on some projects the producers are more interested getting it done quickly/cheaply rather then getting the best quality out of the studio).

Granted, but I wanted to point out for the most part, that Pioneer isn't the be all and end all of dubbing and there was certainly more involved than he was just stating. From my limited views, (I've talked to only a couple of people in the industry myself, including a friend of mine who did a little background work on the Fushigi Yuugi dub, and had a couple of lines in the Cowboy Bebop dub) you will notice that the ADR director, the script writer, etc. will be working for the studio. For those involved in the production work, they may certainly pick the studio who will do the work for them, but it seems that more and more frequently, they will hand the studio the project and ask them to "go with it" and allow the ADR director to do the casting as well. Especially on the rush jobs that you mentioned in your latter point.

Sometimes I wish they would go back and make it more of the collaborative process like it used to be that you mentioned. I think the companies are picking up more series than ever before though, so more and more often, the producers just don't have the time to do as much as they used to.

More of the dubs coming out of Bang! Zoom studios to me have sounded like bad rehearsals than good dubbing to me lately. To me, Animaze has had the most consistent quality in the dubbing as of late.

As far as Ocean working on those series? I had spaced on those, so my bad, you got me there.

Athough with the number of series picked up by Pioneer, I can still at least say that they don't use Ocean very often. That's still less than one dub per year going Ocean's way from Pioneer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
drakh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
For those involved in the production work, they may certainly pick the studio who will do the work for them, but it seems that more and more frequently, they will hand the studio the project and ask them to "go with it" and allow the ADR director to do the casting as well. Especially on the rush jobs that you mentioned in your latter point.

Interesting. I've talked a bit to someone at Ocean, and got the impression that most of their clients were pretty hands on, wanting to approve scripts, actors, mixing, etc. before things went on to the next stage of production. "Call me when it's done" jobs were nice, but very rare.

Quote:
More of the dubs coming out of Bang! Zoom studios to me have sounded like bad rehearsals than good dubbing to me lately.

That's an unusual opinion. Most dub fans seem to be going gaga over BZ! at the moment. I haven't really heard enough of their recent work to formulate a firm opinion, but Please Teacher certainly had a nasty problem with everyone delivering their lines with painfully constant pace, volume and syllable stress. It felt very bland.

They certainly must be doing something different then Animaze, given that they now are pretty much the biggest major dub provider for the major anime distibutors, handling most of the major titles for Media Blasters, Pioneer and lately Bandai.

Quote:
To me, Animaze has had the most consistent quality in the dubbing as of late.

Yeah, I still think they're the best LA dubbing studio by quite a margin.

Quote:
Athough with the number of series picked up by Pioneer, I can still at least say that they don't use Ocean very often. That's still less than one dub per year going Ocean's way from Pioneer.

I've heard that they're working on another series for Pioneer, though it looks like it's none of the series coming out this year.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:53 pm Reply with quote
drakh wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
For those involved in the production work, they may certainly pick the studio who will do the work for them, but it seems that more and more frequently, they will hand the studio the project and ask them to "go with it" and allow the ADR director to do the casting as well. Especially on the rush jobs that you mentioned in your latter point.

Interesting. I've talked a bit to someone at Ocean, and got the impression that most of their clients were pretty hands on, wanting to approve scripts, actors, mixing, etc. before things went on to the next stage of production. "Call me when it's done" jobs were nice, but very rare.

Granted, it's not like I do the production work myself, I was only speaking my views based on what I've been told by a couple of disgrutled voice actors. I personally would love to get in there and involved hands on myself. Although I don't usually care for dubs myself, I'm very interested in their production. Also, I suppose it depends on the Client, and more of the work they do seems to be, of course, with Viz and Bandai. I don't know of all the stuff, but my perspective is limited, although the ones I've spoken with a little more directly involved Pioneer and BZ, not that it means much.
Quote:

Quote:
More of the dubs coming out of Bang! Zoom studios to me have sounded like bad rehearsals than good dubbing to me lately.

That's an unusual opinion. Most dub fans seem to be going gaga over BZ! at the moment. I haven't really heard enough of their recent work to formulate a firm opinion, but Please Teacher certainly had a nasty problem with everyone delivering their lines with painfully constant pace, volume and syllable stress. It felt very bland.

It's funny that you mention the Please Teacher dub. That one was a big turn off to me, and I usually sample dubs later on to see if it gets any better. Even at the 3rd volume, it still didn't sound very good to me. As I was saying earlier, with BZ, it's hit or miss. I also dislike the Ai Yori Aoshi and Mahoromatic dubs. (the incidental work and side characters sound to me very poorly done.) Unfortunately, I feel that most of the work as been mediocre. Not necessarily bad, just nothing worth writing home about either.

On the other hand, I think they've done very well on the X and Chobits dubs.
Quote:

They certainly must be doing something different then Animaze, given that they now are pretty much the biggest major dub provider for the major anime distibutors, handling most of the major titles for Media Blasters, Pioneer and lately Bandai.

Maybe they're cheaper? Laughing
Quote:
Quote:
To me, Animaze has had the most consistent quality in the dubbing as of late.

Yeah, I still think they're the best LA dubbing studio by quite a margin.

I'm glad we see eye to eye on one thing at least. Very Happy
Quote:

Quote:

I've heard that they're working on another series for Pioneer, though it looks like it's none of the series coming out this year.

Counting some of the older stuff, and the ones you mentioned, that's still only about 5-6 titles done in the past eight years.

Still, even if they had an average of one dub per year on Pioneer, there are at least 4-5 per studio per year for others. Since they fall in such a small percentage of the dubs done for Pioneer, I still stand behind my first statement that they don't use Ocean that often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess it would be a matter of time before we see boomers flying around tokyo.

ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drakh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

Also, I suppose it depends on the Client, and more of the work they do seems to be, of course, with Viz and Bandai.

Definitively. I do get the impression that many of the studios and distributors have very different work habits. Animaze for example, is completely paranoid about linking non-union casts with their character (often misspelling names), while BZ! does it gladly. New Generation Pictures will happily announce what they're working on as long as the title has been announced, while Ocean refuses to comment until the discs are out.

Quote:

Well, you see, part of why I objected to your statement that it was all about the dubbing studio is that someone I know has been telling me that BZ's stuff for Pioneer is generally superior to that for Bandai. And there was a Pioneer producer over on AnimeOnDVD who noted that while he was a sub fan originally, it was a lot easier to like dubs when he could have lines he didn't like redone and give the voice director "his insights". As I said previously though, I haven't seen enough to have an opinion.

Quote:
Maybe they're cheaper?

Or faster. Well, faster is generally cheaper. Though all studios can cut costs by using smaller casts and increasing their work speed if the client tells them to. Ocean's done this numerous times on low profile Bandai titles, and even Animaze has a couple of ones that didn't seem to have much care put into them (mainly Manga's bottom-barrel titles). This shouldn't be the case on shiny, new high-profile releases though.

Quote:
Still, even if they had an average of one dub per year on Pioneer, there are at least 4-5 per studio per year for others. Since they fall in such a small percentage of the dubs done for Pioneer, I still stand behind my first statement that they don't use Ocean that often.

Oh, I'm not really arguing :). It seems more the case of Pioneer deciding at one point that Animaze could cover their their dubbing needs, and then only recently starting to look elsewhere. I'm not sure how many more shows they could theoretically give Ocean though, since they're very busy at the moment.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
drakh wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

Also, I suppose it depends on the Client, and more of the work they do seems to be, of course, with Viz and Bandai.

Definitively. I do get the impression that many of the studios and distributors have very different work habits. Animaze for example, is completely paranoid about linking non-union casts with their character (often misspelling names), while BZ! does it gladly. New Generation Pictures will happily announce what they're working on as long as the title has been announced, while Ocean refuses to comment until the discs are out.

Quote:

Well, you see, part of why I objected to your statement that it was all about the dubbing studio is that someone I know has been telling me that BZ's stuff for Pioneer is generally superior to that for Bandai. And there was a Pioneer producer over on AnimeOnDVD who noted that while he was a sub fan originally, it was a lot easier to like dubs when he could have lines he didn't like redone and give the voice director "his insights". As I said previously though, I haven't seen enough to have an opinion.

I'm certainly not a pro in the industry, so I suppose we are in the same boat there. I wonder if in the case of more high profile projects that's when the company is going to get involved? That would make more sense to me in that case. It's just with them pushing so many projects out at once, I do think that with some titles, they just push to get it done and give it to them, and in the ones where they know the fans will get upset, they will keep a closer eye on?
Quote:

Quote:
Maybe they're cheaper?

Or faster. Well, faster is generally cheaper. Though all studios can cut costs by using smaller casts and increasing their work speed if the client tells them to. Ocean's done this numerous times on low profile Bandai titles, and even Animaze has a couple of ones that didn't seem to have much care put into them (mainly Manga's bottom-barrel titles). This shouldn't be the case on shiny, new high-profile releases though.

Agreed, not every dub they've done is to perfection, but even their low end stuff seems to be on par with the average dubs.
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I'm not really arguing :). It seems more the case of Pioneer deciding at one point that Animaze could cover their their dubbing needs, and then only recently starting to look elsewhere. I'm not sure how many more shows they could theoretically give Ocean though, since they're very busy at the moment.

Definetly.... Gundam SeeD anybody? ^_^

not to mention that they also work on North American productions as well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3