• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces Release Date for Evangelion Director's Cut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:03 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this was settled definitively already, but I "obtained" the remastered evas with the director's cut episodes, and the stutter is ENTIRELY gone, and the picture and sound have been totally cleaned... It's awesome.

Shame on whoever for withholding this release, and ADV for an awful dub, and Manga for the terrible movie subtitles.

All in all I've wasted a lot of cash on lo-quality stuff here, so I feel totally justified with my "copies".

File sharing isn't stealing IMHO it's de facto quality control! Simple rule: make good things - get my money.

(whoo... didn't mean to go there, that just came out...)
---
Sam.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:55 am Reply with quote
Samusek:

Quote:
Shame on whoever for withholding this release, and ADV for an awful dub, and Manga for the terrible movie subtitles.

How about shame on Anno for ripping people off by re-releasing the damn series so often? I mean when you think about it, who cares how they translate the show, when Anno keeps screwing with the continuity anyway? In fact,I was going to chide you on bootlegging, but in this case, I'll actually endorse it, because a greedy egotistical pr*ck like him deserves it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:18 am Reply with quote
How is the ADV dub bad when it's basically a Carbon Copy of the original version, just spoken in english with very accurate voices.
VinceA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:44 am Reply with quote
The release date posted on the front news page seems to be wrong. It's shown as 1/16/2004 which is a Friday. The release date shown in the body of the press release is 1/13/2004 (a Tuesday - normal release day for DVDs). The footer of the press release shows the date as 1/16/2004 also so maybe the press release is the source of the error...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:23 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
If I recall, ADV said that they managed to get back all the original dub cast members that had speaking roles in the new footage.

Gotta love Amanda Winn Lee and her American seiyuu union. :wink:

And with the Eva dub being the first version of Eva I saw, I have to defend it. It was, in my opinion, a great dub. The actors did a good job, and you have to remember this was before companies started to try and cast roles to sound more like the original.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:59 am Reply with quote
I have to agree here. The Eva dub was well done. Tristian McAvery IS Gendo Ikari.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:56 am Reply with quote
I love the changes they did in the alternate universe. Rei and Gendo are just great, and it proves the Yui was in charge.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:17 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
At AWA, the represntative at the ADV panel stated that the new DVD's will fit into the Box Set.

Yeah!

But I still would rather watch the whole series without the earthquake effect. But I don't want to re-buy the entire series.

At least we're getting the extra footage.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:38 pm Reply with quote
*Scractes head* What does everyone mean by jumping.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay, as a fan of ADV, I have to support Eva's dubbing (I liked it, sue me).

Samusek, you're a moron. From a marketing standpoint, ADV is saving a LOT of money by not pursuing and releasing the Evangelion remaster. Think about it, Evangelion has been available on DVD for years now, most of the fanbase surrounding the show has it already. The remasters would be a complete financial FAILURE because the only people who'd bother to go out and spend $200+ to buy a series all over again are those few obsessive people that protest a company because they don't include Dolby 5.1 DTS UberEar T.H.X. Asstacular Donkey Fart surround sound and "OMG CRYSTALS IN TEH PLASMAR!!!" video transfer in all of their releases. Not to mention I get the feeling Gainax would ask for nothing short of a higher pricetag for the remasters, since of course Eva is the golden god cash cow of both companies and they damn well know it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:
*Scractes head* What does everyone mean by jumping.

During production, there was apparently some sort of technical error that causes the picture to jump after each cut. Most of the time it happens right before and right after the scene completely changes. Its really bad in the first few episodes.

EDIT: You know, I just realized, those of us who already have the box set could just switch the dvd covers, or just the discs. Rather than trying to overcomplicate a simple task.

Last edited by Swordfish_II on Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
L337Llama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:25 pm Reply with quote
With seeing how much people hate all the releasing, Im tempted to get one of the bootleg box sets. My friend got one (didn't know it was a bootleg) and I saw it. The picture was pretty good. Only thing that sucked was they took all the extras off the movies to put them on one disc... A

Anyway....

Is Anno is dire straits with money so he keeps rereleasing the series to pay off debt or something? Also, are all the other episodes going to be released or just the last few? I know there was the renewel thing done, but that isn't coming stateside until the live action movie comes out. And thats a big if...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
L337Llama wrote:
Is Anno is dire straits with money so he keeps rereleasing the series to pay off debt or something? Also, are all the other episodes going to be released or just the last few? I know there was the renewel thing done, but that isn't coming stateside until the live action movie comes out. And thats a big if...

Somehow I get the feeling the frequent re-releases aren't Anno's decision (he doesn't run Gainax, after all). Only the last six episodes are being released here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Okay, as a fan of ADV, I have to support Eva's dubbing (I liked it, sue me).

Samusek, you're a moron. From a marketing standpoint, ADV is saving a LOT of money by not pursuing and releasing the Evangelion remaster. Think about it, Evangelion has been available on DVD for years now, most of the fanbase surrounding the show has it already. The remasters would be a complete financial FAILURE because the only people who'd bother to go out and spend $200+ to buy a series all over again are those few obsessive people that protest a company because they don't include Dolby 5.1 DTS UberEar T.H.X. Asstacular Donkey Fart surround sound and "OMG CRYSTALS IN TEH PLASMAR!!!" video transfer in all of their releases. Not to mention I get the feeling Gainax would ask for nothing short of a higher pricetag for the remasters, since of course Eva is the golden god cash cow of both companies and they damn well know it.

I could see the Renewal box set coming over here if the Eva movie ever gets off the ground. As for the dubbing, IMO Eva has one of the best dubs ADV has ever done. Almost all the voices fit the characters. Asuka's voice was the only thing I didn't care for in the dub, but it got better as the show went on.
IamMOP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care so much for it and i'm a pro dubber Razz spose they did do a good job, but eh well ok, my biggest gripe is misato, like dher voice more in the sub heh. This remastering of the english release or the ported remaster from japan? sounds like a port, but i heard adv was redoing their original dub. eh wells.

[No advertising. -b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3