• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, it took way too long with many shy actions including a heck of a lot of blushing and mumbling, but the ship has sailed. The moment at the end was so magical that I even feel inclined to say that it makes up for all the grumbling I have done this season about the romantic progress being very slow. It was also nice to see most of the characters appear in the final episode, especially their reaction to the burst of saintly love magic. Special mention goes to Erhart's hidden reaction.

As for the season as a whole, I liked it due to a mix of romance, adventure/action and seeing some more of the world. It did feel like it was running out of steam compared to the first season though. If you were to tell me a third season would arrive in the future, then my reaction would be one of mixed feelings.

@Alan45, given that Aria has otherwordly knowledge and certain magical skills I assume that she would have found a bright future regardless of Sei, though I will agree that her treatment is a tad unfair in comparison.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:14 pm Reply with quote
So my young padawans, was your patience worth it?
Actually, I was a little disappointed in the staging of the final scene. In the web novel it took place this time of year with a light snow falling. Al had gotten some pine trees lit up and he created a large "MARRY ME" ice sculpture. I was looking forward to seeing that. Sounded kind of nice. As for a 3rd season, if the web novel is any indication, there is not enough source material at this time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This brings us to almost the end of the eighth novel. The ninth novel has been issued in Japan and is due here in January. It is unclear if there will be additional novels but the tenth is not yet over due as they have been coming out one a year and the last was in March of this year. Just assume that life goes on for the crew.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Look! It's snowing magic!"

Gisan Otaku wrote:

No. I didn't absolutely hate it, but I agree with smurky T's overall assessment (especially the fist pump). But as utterly miserable as they both looked during the carriage ride, I guess I have to hand it to Hawke that he still managed to find the courage to go through with it.

Quote:
...he created a large "MARRY ME" ice sculpture.

Sorry, but...oh gods, no. If they'd have done that, I would've puked up my supper. ::shudders just imagining it::
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:54 am Reply with quote
Am I alone in not really feeling it that much in the second season? Perhaps the fault lays with me, but there just wasn't much to get me in compared to the first season that started with the being tossed aside before building up her own place that turned into the prince getting in trouble, and her I think mentoring the other girl.

The most I really got into the season was when she was keeping her part the secret while helping the prince of the other land with a potion for his mother. I sadly wasn't into the romance this season, like I needed something more.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:02 am Reply with quote
6.5/10.

I will admit: this is not my kind of series. It's definitely not bad; it's just not my kind of show. But that's just a question of preference: in overall, this is a pretty solid romance series. From the onset, it's tempting to write off this show as reverse harem, but clearly it's not wholly gratuitous in nature.

Feelings are subtle in this show, and with nobility in play, it makes expression of love even more delicate. There are some romance tropes here and there, but it's still well done. And I have to give it to the show: the final scene was superbly done. You can see it coming, and it does come, it's still mesmerising to watch. It's the rightful ending that we deserve.

I'm just happy this show has come to a proper closure. I like shows with proper closure.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
Actually, I was a little disappointed in the staging of the final scene. In the web novel it took place this time of year with a light snow falling. Al had gotten some pine trees lit up and he created a large "MARRY ME" ice sculpture. I was looking forward to seeing that. Sounded kind of nice. As for a 3rd season, if the web novel is any indication, there is not enough source material at this time.

Ugh, no thanks. With the anime they managed to make for one heck of a magical moment and a perfect location/time to confess feelings at. Your description sounds rather on the nose and very tacky, there is such a thing as doing too much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:37 am Reply with quote
The way he handled it was actually pretty good, for him. He gave her a reason why he set all that up for her that was enough by itself. So when he added the proposal on top, she could still say, "I dunno, I'm just not ready. But thank you so much for all this. It was a beautiful thought and a beautiful result."

But if he does the whole "Marry Me" centerpiece, that becomes the sole reason for his efforts, and turning him down would become a reaaaallly awkward situation and make her look like a jerk. It's just manipulative in the extreme. So doing that is actually in character for the Hawke we've come to know who constantly ignores her wishes and can't take a hint and doesn't listen to a word she says while he moons over her beauty. The way the anime did it was a refreshing departure where he actually considered her agency in the decision.

I've always felt that way when I see videos of elaborate public proposals, which make it real hard for the proposed-to to say no (and if it were me, that would be a huge red flag moment. I'd be inclined to say no even if I had wanted to say yes.). You do something like that, you had better have previously discussed the possibility of getting married or be otherwise 150% sure of the answer or you may get what you deserve.

@Dusky - I can't understand why you would ask if you're the only one. Have you not been reading this thread? oO
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, hearing that I really like the way they did it in the anime a lot more. It was a magical moment that was not forced or overly prepared, they enjoyed the beauty of it and Hawke then popped the question. Trying to create something overly grand, even if you make it seem like the proposal is just the cherry on top feels like something rather awkward/manipulative and Hawke does indeed already have a track record of being a tad pushy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@Dusky - I can't understand why you would ask if you're the only one. Have you not been reading this thread? oO

I don't know, people seem to be all praising it and talking about it at the end. I am just kind of meh, and in general I don't really think about much I really want to discuss about the show.

I can go off and really talk about points of a show I think was god awful. But having watched the second season I can only think 'inoffensive'.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I agree with Smurky in that I thought the end was good enough that I'm glad I stuck it out long enough to see it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Blegh. I don't remember the last time I've watched a romance as boring from start to finish as the thing between Sei and Hawke. Sei never grew out of her insecurities, Hawke had to literally come out and ask her to marry him for her to figure out that Hawke might be into her. And Hawke is boring. This whole 2nd season has been lame. It's disappointing to me that Aira just became an unimportant side character when I found all the drama stuff with the prince to be interesting in the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9