• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm certainly on the Free Range Mage hype train and I think most viewers will be too, except for contrarians who need to prove their imperviousness to popular media. Smile

That's not the reason I'm not watching it.

If you're not watching it, you're not in the group I was talking about. Namely, people who did watch it and have to tell us how totally over-rated it is and they were bored to tears and thought it sucked. Smile I'm also not suggesting there aren't people who legitimately just don't find it engaging (hence the "most viewers" qualifier), but those people won't feel the need to imply that the ones who do love it are sheeple, as the professionally jaded sort will sneer.

I hope you do get a chance to watch it eventually, because it seems like it's right in your wheelhouse. Very Happy
Telu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I watched the 2 hours of Frieren but I have to drop the show for now (I gonna wait until the BD comes out to watch the show in one sitting).

Other than that, I'm going to watch "Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute!" weekly, and that's it, every other anime this season are a hard pass for me.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If you're not watching it, you're not in the group I was talking about. Namely, people who did watch it and have to tell us how totally over-rated it is and they were bored to tears and thought it sucked. Smile I'm also not suggesting there aren't people who legitimately just don't find it engaging (hence the "most viewers" qualifier), but those people won't feel the need to imply that the ones who do love it are sheeple, as the professionally jaded sort will sneer.

I hope you do get a chance to watch it eventually, because it seems like it's right in your wheelhouse. Very Happy

Sorry I misinterpreted you. And thanks for the rec!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't feel emotionally manipulative, just organically honest about how it feels to yearn to hear someone's voice one last time or to feel them with you once again.

Well, besides the utterly bizarre OP, I quite liked Frieren, I guess. But it was Rebecca Silverman's comment above that made me bawl my heart out more than anything in the four episodes did.

How is the opening "bizarre"? That's like the most random word choice to describe it.
voltaseca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:50 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Netero wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't feel emotionally manipulative, just organically honest about how it feels to yearn to hear someone's voice one last time or to feel them with you once again.

Well, besides the utterly bizarre OP, I quite liked Frieren, I guess. But it was Rebecca Silverman's comment above that made me bawl my heart out more than anything in the four episodes did.

How is the opening "bizarre"? That's like the most random word choice to describe it.

I wouldn't call it bizarre, but I really felt that the OP didn't fit the show. It's a great song and the visuals are also great but there's no... melancholy to it. No sense of longing.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm certainly on the Free Range Mage hype train and I think most viewers will be too, except for contrarians who need to prove their imperviousness to popular media. Smile

Can we... can we just accept that some people simply will not like the same things we do, and that is totally okay? Nobody has to be a "contrarian" because they don't like what we like. Just saying it saves us a lot of unecessary frustration to realize that.

I don't usually watch shows like Frieren, but since I probably will not have many shows to watch this season, I gave it a chance, and was very pleased that I did so. It is a genuinely good show. Nothing really mind blowing for me (at least so far) and I doubt it's ever going to become that popular, but it is a beautiful, well written and well constructed show. 4 episodes are enough for someone to understand its quality, and I don't think it will derail later. So far a good start.

The other two shows I really don't care about, based on premise alone, so I didn't check them out.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
The adaptation of Frieren: Beyond Journey's End seems to be a success. Knowing the manga, I'm not surprise about the story but they put enough production value to make it justice.

I would also say that the soundtrack, in particular in the first episode, increase the story narration. In the manga, the epicness of the hero's party accomplishments is hard to imagine without flashback, while in the anime, the soundtrack manage to convey that feeling. I also expected that Frieren's voice acting would be more cold/emotionless but the balance chosen in the show make her a bit more relatable.

My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer: my impressions from the manga were that the story lacked direction and stake and the daughter also didn't evolve much in the first part of the story and was not interesting. So, if the reviewers find the production quality lacking in the adaptation, there is no reason to try it.
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:11 am Reply with quote
Frieren
spoiler[I enjoyed it plenty, but finding out that she's already ~1,000 years old really made it lose some of its luster. I was under the impression that she wasn't much older than the rest of the hero party and she's only now starting to realize what her long life in this world means, but Flamme was a human she knew all the way back then and she probably knew others, too. Why'd it take her 950 years to regret not getting to know a human companion more?]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Can we... can we just accept that some people simply will not like the same things we do, and that is totally okay? Nobody has to be a "contrarian" because they don't like what we like. Just saying it saves us a lot of unecessary frustration to realize that.

Please scroll up a bit and read my follow up. I was apparently not clear enough what I was referring to, for which I apologize.

@ Florete: I had the same thought, though it didn't bother me as much as the boob joke. Smile I think other than spoiler[her time with Flamme], she'd just kept her own company mostly all that time, and a decade adventuring with a group was a new kind of relationship for her.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:17 am Reply with quote
Pretty decent start to the season so far. Frieren is amazing, My Daughter Left and the firefighter anime are decent. Magic Sword Master of Holy Sword School is okay and A Girl & Her Guard Dog I would rather forget about.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kirki wrote:

Please scroll up a bit and read my follow up. I was apparently not clear enough what I was referring to, for which I apologize.

@ Florete: I had the same thought, though it didn't bother me as much as the boob joke. Smile I think other than spoiler[her time with Flamme], she'd just kept her own company mostly all that time, and a decade adventuring with a group was a new kind of relationship for her.

To your second point I think there's plenty of evidence in the anime so far. (manga up to v. 7 spoilers) spoiler[The manga eventually says this is the case more directly, though.] I think a big part of why it makes a point to show how Frieren passed the 50 years between viewings of the Era Meteor Shower is to really drive home that this was just how she was used to living. Wandering the countryside, never really settling down (at least in her mind) for hundreds of years. Since she never spent much time in any one place (by her measure), what point was there (in her perspective perhaps) in getting to know the people in the area and build friendships or other relationships?

If you're the kind of person who views making friends or building other relationships as something of a difficult task, or at least a significant emotional investment, (e.g. I am such a person) I think it's an easy trap? (I'll go with trap) to fall into. If I were to go camping for a week, I'll certainly be cordial with any camping neighbors, but chances are that once the week is up, I'll never see them again. Thus, I wouldn't see much point in trying to really get to know them. At a slightly longer time scale, if I were to work a summer job that I'm not particularly invested in (something I've done IRL), then I'm really not going to go out of my way to make friends with my coworkers, because it's pretty unlikely I'll run into them again once the job is over.

I think this is similar to the mindset the Frieren has regarding the rest of the Hero's party when they first see the Era Meteor Shower. If we assume she has been working with a similar mindset about spans of time, then it's pretty easy to see why she wouldn't form relationships with people while she's "constantly moving around" (changing places at least once every 10 years or so).
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Frieren was pretty good. I liked that in this fantasy world, time is not a constant and there are actual scientific improvements are happening, at least spoiler[when it comes to magic, demonstrated by the former demon lord's sealed whatchamacallit's quick demise, his spell he terrorized the populace in the past with was considered a basic magic attack 80 years later]. Shows how time actually flies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
honestly, this feels like a sports show with firefighting and rescue replacing soccer.

Yes, throughout the whole episode of Ace of Firefighters, that's the thought that kept ambling through my mind. Smile I'm not sure what other sports series are up this season so this will have to do (I don't count Initial T(oyota) because I hate car racing more than golf). The other thought I kept having during the training bits was that this is how Toshihiro Takeda always did so well at Ninja Warrior (Sasuke). Very Happy

Anyway, the episode wasn't bad, but it didn't really knock my socks off yet. Tokyo burning looked like it might be an exploding meteorite falling or something. Wonder if they'll make us wait til the end of the season to reveal what was going on.
moozooh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

The tone doesn't fit at all. Instrumentation, vocals, it all feels completely off, which truly makes it a bizarre choice for a show like this (probably just for the Yoasobi name drop since it looks like the stakeholders have invested quite a bit into it). Compare to the openings of Mushishi, Kino's Journey, or Spice and Wolf, each of which would've worked better for Frieren. Acoustic instruments and natural vocals are just much more fitting for a slow contemplative traveling show.

On the other hand, the opening for Ragna Crimson is a perfect fit for its tone and content, and holy cow it absolutely slaps. I don't think I've heard metal instrumentation this good since last year's Chainsaw Man's ending set, probably. And good-sounding growl... in English... by a Japanese band? What sorcery is this?
voltaseca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:59 pm Reply with quote
moozooh wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

The tone doesn't fit at all. Instrumentation, vocals, it all feels completely off, which truly makes it a bizarre choice for a show like this (probably just for the Yoasobi name drop since it looks like the stakeholders have invested quite a bit into it). Compare to the openings of Mushishi, Kino's Journey, or Spice and Wolf, each of which would've worked better for Frieren. Acoustic instruments and natural vocals are just much more fitting for a slow contemplative traveling show.

On the other hand, the opening for Ragna Crimson is a perfect fit for its tone and content, and holy cow it absolutely slaps. I don't think I've heard metal instrumentation this good since last year's Chainsaw Man's ending set, probably. And good-sounding growl... in English... by a Japanese band? What sorcery is this?

Agreed on everything.
God I love Spice and Wolf's OP. Something with that tone of melancholy would be perfect for Frieren
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21