• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
Not specifically anime, but it was acquired for the use of watching anime. A Roku 3. Which, for right now, is being used solely for Crunchyroll since I don't have a subscription with other sites.

It's not that I can't connect my laptop to my television and watch anime like that - I did do that. Naw, I spent this $100 for the comfort of being able to control everything using a remote.

And why the most expensive Roku on the market currently? Because I can plug my earphones into the remote. Most of my anime watching happens at night, and I live with people who go to bed early at 9:30 PM.

And my Crunchyroll watching has gone up quite a bit now that I have this device. Convenience = lazier willag Laughing

Any other Roku apps worth taking a look at?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nummy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
@Blood- Definitely Wink Especially for my animu
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote

That came in the mail yesterday while I was at work. It's the Black Rock Shooter TV Limited Edition set. Ever since Funimation talked about how difficult licensing the show would be because of Max Factory's involvement i.e. forcing them to release a figure if they wanted to do a BD (like Italy), I figured my best bet was to just get it from Japan. Luckily it's still available a year later, especially since the exchange rate is ~99:1 instead of, like, ~75:1 like it was when it was first released.

Unless some remastered Slayers BD box sets with the dub are announced, this should be my last big import for a while. I might start getting TV series again at some point, but after the Gurren Lagann BD ($440) set, this set ($240), a couple figures, and the various things I'm getting locally, my bank account needs a break.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Comic store:

No 6. 2
Library Wars 10
Natsume's Book of Friends 14
Kamisama Kiss 13
Skip Beat Omnibus 5
Happy Marriage 1
lem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
recently from Amzn US/various resellers/TRSI
GTO 2-25
Nana 11-21
And an R2 dvd from Amzn JP The Diary of Tortov Roddle by Kunio Kato. Which is here at ANN but it doesn't work/isn't viewable for my connection? It's also on youtube w/ eng subs.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, Otakon is done destroying my wallet, so I figure I'll post up what I all bought there.

Gurren Lagann BD set (TKoH, how'd you get it so cheap? This was $550, and that's as cheap as I could find it from either TRSI or Amazon too)

the special Madoka nendie GSC was selling at their booth

the special Miku nendie from the same

the TLR Venus artbook

an Otakon shirt

an Otakon tumbler, perfect for some scotch drinking when I get home

a wall scroll from la recherche du futur perdu. I've never heard of this particular VN, but I figured I needed some smut on my walls. It's an eroge, so the wall scroll isn't what one would call safe for work

3 hentai titles. Aki Sora, Dark Love, and Venus 5. Because I felt I needed more hentai in my life.

At any rate, I wound up spending a good deal more than I planned, but that's alright. I've been pretty responsible with my spending all year, I can accept having a month where things get a little crazy. GSC did me a "favor" by delaying Insane Black Rock Shooter once again, so my figure expense this month is a good deal cheaper anyways.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
What? On Amazon JP it's 40320 minus taxes right now, which is combined 36% off, and with current exchange rate of ¥96.18 : $1 is only $419. $440 with shipping.

My order was 30% off for 44015 and the exchange rate then was ¥99.31 : $1, so I paid $443.21. $463 after shipping.

It's notably cheaper now than when I bought it. Sooooooo yea.

EDIT: Oooooooooh! You only used Amazon US didn't you? Silly Sailor, you have to browse Japanese retailers for the best prices on Japanese releases.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Welp, live and learn I guess. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. COBRA!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm bummed losing out on $23 - couldn't imagine $110. That's a lot of hentai, man.
Nico87

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I was also at Otakon and got a lot of fun too!

Manga
Flower of Life 4 (I got 3 copies because I knew 3 people who needed one. One person was at Otakon, but stuck in the Yoko Kanno line, so I picked it up for her)
GTO 14 Days in Shonan 5, 6, 9 (completed my set)
Helter Skelter (out early for Otakon)
Kamisama Kiss 12
Kaze Hikaru 9, 15, 19
Old Boy 3-5,7,8 (ordered 6 online before the con)
Palette of 12 Secret Colors 1,2,5,6 (I ordered 3 and 4 online before the con)
Tegami Bachi 12
Twin Knight
Utsubora
Wolfsmund 1

Anime
Betterman (clear proof I was not at the Sentai panel, though I did get the 6 singles for $35, most of the Bandai Legends sets around the dealer's room were $50 if you were lucky, but usually $80 or higher, especially Gundam)
Birdy the Mighty: Double Trouble (I see the price for part 2, ahahaha, no, but this was $5 in shrink)
Black (eps 7 and 9)
Cromartie High School (Live Action)
Patlabor 1 movie (Honneamise special ed)
Patlabor 2 movie (Honneamise special ed, $15 each)

Other
Basara artbook (the red cover)
RahXephon Bible (actually ordered online before the con)
Vertical bag (for buying a certain amount of awesome from them)
3 Cell charms (an orange lucky cat, Sableye, and Giant Robo)
8 catnip toys (artist alley, $1 each, reek of catnip, cat loves 'em!)
Rarity t-shirt (has the cutie mark in the corner, more stealthy, I like it that way)
Grumpy Cat shirt (for my mom)

Oddly enough, I spent only a bit less than I did last year. I clearly got way less manga (last time I got like 50), but I spent a bit more on certain items (like the Basara artbook for $30)
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
My friend was kind of interested in Kaze Hikaru so I ordered him volume 1,2 and 3 to get him started. Hopefully he'll like it... its a good manga, just slow.

edit: ^^^ Oooh, seems I'm not the only one who's reading it, haha...
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Birdy the Mighty: Double Trouble (I see the price for part 2, ahahaha, no, but this was $5 in shrink)
How annoyed would you be if you paid the four grand (or however much) and the case was sawn across the spine?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
How annoyed would you be if you paid the four grand (or however much) and the case was sawn across the spine?

Eh, sawing across the spine doesn't annoy me all that much. This disc I got is sawn across the spine. But paying 4,500 for a two ep disc? Clearly that you should be a crime, not even Aniplex charges that much.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad I bought both of those volumes when they were OOP but still available. I think I only paid like $4 per volume... Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1059 of 1400